Meal Type: Main Dish
- 1 medium-size pan
- Blender or food processor to roast the rice
- 2 small bowls
- Serving plate(s)
- 1/4 cup of Jasmine rice (We will later roast this rice)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 pound of chicken (or other protein), chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp of white pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh roasted coconut
- 1 lime leaf
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup sliced lemon grass
- Sticky or regular rice on the side
- Veggies (e.g. cucumber slices, lettuce, cilantro)
- Herbs (e.g. mint, saw leaves)
- Cayenne peppers (optional)
1. To make the roasted rice, place 1/2 cup of rice in water for 15 min, then mix it onto a pan until it turns golden. No oil needed.
2. Put roasted rice into a blender until fine and set rice aside in a separate bowl.
3. On medium-high heat, add minced shallot, onion, and ginger onto the pan. No oil needed.
4. Cook this fragrant mixture until golden and then pour it into a separate bowl.
5. Turn your pan on to high heat. Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil onto pan and minced garlic.
6. Once garlic is golden, add 1 pound of chopped chicken (or other protein). Stir and cook the chicken until there is no more water and its color is golden brown.
7. To season your chicken, add the ingredients below, stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Pour the fragrant mixture from Step 4 (garlic, shallot, onion, ginger) into the pan to stir with the seasoned, cooked chicken.
9. Serve the dish onto your plate(s) along with a side of sticky rice or regular rice.
10. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of roasted rice and squeeze 1/2 of lime to add on top of your plate(s).
11. Decorate the dish with veggies and herbs. Some ideas are: Cucumber slices, lettuce, cilantro, mint, saw leaves. Enjoy! :)
This recipe was brought to you by...
Mama Oui (pronounced "Wee")
1st Generation Khmer-American