Meal Type: Side Dish, Dessert
We took a break from posting our mom's recipes because she has been working on building up her own YouTube channel! Subscribe to her YouTube to see regularly updated Khmer/Asian and healthy recipes. We will continue featuring our childhood recipes here that we want to learn.
While it is simple to make, we want to highlight sticky rice because it brings back so many wonderful memories growing up!
We love eating sticky rice as a dessert with coconut and jackfruit. We enjoy eating sticky rice with beef jerky whenever we go picnicking, camping, hiking, and road-tripping as a family! Ma would just wrap them into aluminum foil and it would be such a quick, easy, and filling snack.
Our Ma, also known as Mama Oui, made a video where she will show you the directions below step by step! Learn how to cook perfect sticky rice every time.
- 2 cups of dry glutinous/sweet sticky rice
- Bowl of tap water to soak sticky rice
- Steamer pot or basket
- Tap water to fill your streamer pot or basket
- 2 tbsp of seaweed seasoning (optional)
1. Put 2 cups of dry glutinous/sweet sticky rice into a strainer and wash the starch away with tap water.
2. Put your sticky rice into a bowl with water to soak for at least 3 hours. If you can, soak it overnight for the best results!
3. After your sticky rice is finished soaking in water, turn your oven on and set it to high.
4. Fill your streamer pot or basket with tap water halfway up.
5. Put your soaked glutinous rice into a strainer and then put it inside of your streamer pot/basket. Cover the pot/basket with a lid to steam for about 25-30 minutes.
6. Taste a few pieces to see if it is soft enough for your tasting! When it is done, turn off your heat and let the rice cool for at least 20 minutes before serving or using to make other recipes.
7. Enjoy! You can serve sticky rice as a side dish, dessert, and other ways.